Monday 5 May 2014

Climbing Snowdon via the Watkin path

Off all the routes up Snowdon, this the longest and toughest starting at just 60m above sea level at the foot of the 1085m mountain. By contrast, many walkers choose a route that starts at 360m, which is cheating really? Having read up about this path before hand, I knew that the last part of this climb involves a steep scramble.

Even on this least popular route, a bank holiday weekend meant this not exactly a climb of solitude.

















So, having reached 800m, the final part of the ascent involves a steep scramble as seen in the picture below.


With the summit covered in cloud, knowing that the peak would be busy and with my knee starting to hurt, I decided it was time to head back down the mountain. I reckon I could have got up ok, but would have really struggled to get back down again. Even from this point, the descent was quite painful at times.








No comments:

Post a Comment