Wednesday 27 February 2013

Climbing the old man


The Old Man of Coniston is a fell in the Furness Fells in the English Lake District. It is 2,634 feet (803 m) high, and lies to the west of the village of Coniston and the lake of the same name, Coniston Water. The fell is sometimes known by the alternative name of Coniston Old Man, or simply The Old Man

The mountain has seen extensive slate mining activity for eight hundred years and the remains of abandoned mines and spoil tips are a significant feature of the north east slopes. One theory of the name is that it has derived from "Old Mines".
















This is the point at which I have to confess I did not make it to the very top. I was very close. I got about half way up in the above picture before I decided it was to steep and slippy. So I just sat and admired the view and contemplated how on earth I was supposed to get back down again through the snow slopes.










No comments:

Post a Comment